Sustainable Policies, Sustainable Counties
Counties provide constitutionally and statutorily directed state services to all of Washington’s residents. The Washington Association of County Officials (WACO) is working to secure clear and sustainable policies to provide all 39 counties with the foundation to provide sustainable service levels to every Washingtonian.
SB 5160 The County Assessors are seeking to modify the Senior / Disabled Veteran Tax Exemption qualifying income levels from dollar thresholds to thresholds based on a percentage of county income. No currently qualified senior loses qualification.
HB 1291 / SB 5073 The County Auditors are seeking legislation for equitable share of election costs by making counties, cities, towns, districts, and the state pay their proportionate share of elections costs for every election.
HB 1789 Additionally, the County Auditors seek an increase in the licensing filing fee by $1.50. The fee for certain vehicle and vessels has been unchanged for 20 years. Fees collected directly benefit services to the public by counties.
HB 1437 / SB 5132 The County Treasurers seek to eliminate "neglect" from "willfully refuses or neglects to collect" and substitute "in RCW 84.56.300" for "as provided herein" to promote clarity in the statute.
HB 1005 / SB 5131 Additionally, the County Treasurers seek to eliminate certain title signatures and extinguishing liens on treasurer foreclosures of titled manufactured homes in RCW 46.12.700.
2019 Legislative Resources
- Legislative 101
- 2019 Bill Search
- Standing Committee Topic Areas
- House of Representatives Committee Information
- Senate Committee Roster and Information
- FAQ: Property Taxes and School Levies
- KNKX "Unpacking Government"
- Getting Around at the Capitol Campus
- Appointments with Legislators
- Testifying in a Legislative Hearing
- How to Sign into a Committee Hearing
- Passing Notes onto the Floor
- Legislative Priorities Handout (PDF)
- Assessors - Senior/Veteran exemption HB 1181 / HB 1320 / SB 5160 (PDF)
- Clerks - Uniform Parentage Act SB 5333 (PDF)
- Coroners - Records Subpoena HB 1227 / SB 5300 (PDF)
- Coroners - Vital Statistics HB 1550 / SB 5332 (PDF)
- Sheriffs - Civil Service Rules HB 1750
- Treasurers - Accountability HB 1437 / SB 5132 (PDF)
- Treasurers - Signatures for foreclosure sales of mobile homes HB 1005 / SB 5131 (PDF)